Saturday, February 1, 2014

Beginning Life on the Inside

The kittens looked content in the dog crate. They say small spaces give cats comfort. I felt bad though. I felt they needed more space, but it worked. They had a quiet night.

In the morning, the crate needed to be opened to clean the litter box and add food and fresh water. What would the kittens do? Would they try to escape? Would they bite? I was a bit edgy about it. I never worked with a feral cat before. A pair of thick gloves would protect my hands just in case. I cautiously opened the crate. The poor babies just cowered as far back in the crate as they could get. I didn't try to touch them. I just talked quietly to them. I figured they knew me from talking to them outside. I hoped the talking might comfort them.

We tried to leave them alone in the basement to adjust to the sounds of the house. It wasn't easy. They were so cute, so we visited them often. We kept the door closed to the storage area of the basement where the kittens were because we were not sure how our six year old cat would react to them. She seemed oblivious to them at first. Then, she started sniffing around the door. No hissing or growling. So far so good!

I got in touch with my friend with the larger crate. She said it was ready and waiting for me. It was much bigger. The kittens would have a lot more room. The problem would be transferring them from the small crate to the large one with no one escaping! Three of us took on the task. The big crate was set up and ready. The plan was to open the door to the small crate and push it as close as possible to the opening of the large crate so the kittens could go right into the large crate and hopefully not escape into the basement.

We connected the crates. The kittens didn't move.

No comments:

Post a Comment