Saturday, January 11, 2014

Feral Cat Programs

Something had to be done to help these cats. I started looking into programs for feral cats at various clinics. These are TNR programs: trap, neuter, return. The cat is trapped in a humane trap, taken to the clinic for spay or neuter and care, then released where it was trapped. Cats must be returned to their territory, their home.

The Spayed Club in Sharon Hill, PA was recommended to me by my vet. They charge $30 per cat for spay or neuter, rabies and distemper shots, treatment for fleas, ear mites and worms, ear tipping (this identifies that the cat has been neutered) and an overnight stay. Good deal! Problem: this package was for registered trappers only. I was not about to become a registered trapper. My husband would freak out if I transported wild cats in my car!

I had to find a trapper. It was no easy feat. These people are in demand. A friend of mine gave me the number of a trapper she knew. I called and left her a message. I got no call back. The Spayed Club put me on their waiting list for a trapper. Time ticked away. I waited and waited and waited. I got on another waiting list for Forgotten Cats of Delaware. Again I waited. A dear friend recommended her neighbor for trapping feral cats. I gave her a call. She said she had so many other cats to catch, she just couldn't get to mine now.

It was fall now. Mating season was coming. There would be more kittens to worry about! My friend stepped in. She called the trapper and told her of my plight. Finally a call! Plans were made. Saturday evening the trapper came and set up four humane traps loaded with mackerel, a smelly irresistible dish for cats. I kept an eye on the traps. One of the cats tripped the trap, but we caught no one. At 1:00 am I closed the traps for the night.

Link for The Spayed Club Clinic
http://www.thespayedclubclinic.org/

Link for Forgotten Cats of Delaware
http://www.forgottencats.org/index.php


No comments:

Post a Comment